Saturday, September 24, 2005

John Haught To Testify in Dover Case

I majored in theology in college, and my two favorite professors were Langdon Gilkey and John Haught. Gilkey taught my senior seminar in religious pluralism. Haught taught my classes on theological method and systematic theology, and was also my academic advisor.

A few years after graduating I found out that Langdon Gilkey had been one of the key expert witnesses for the plaintiffs in the 1981 "Creationism Trial" in Little Rock, Arkansas. He wrote a thoughtful and entertaining book about that experience, and covers some of the same issues in this lecture (Real Media). (Judge Overton's opinion awarding judgment in favor of the plaintiffs cites Gilkey's testimony a number of times.) Professor Gilkey passed away last November.

More recently I learned that Professor Haught will provide expert testimony for the plaintiffs in the Dover, Pennsylvania, Creationism trial set to start on Monday (9/26). Cool! Statements about the case from all seven of the plaintiffs' experts can be found on this website maintained by the ACLU.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home